Three Common Indoor Air Pollutants to Be Aware Of
Every homeowner should know about what issues can arise in their home due to air quality. There are around 13 common indoor air pollutants, but the three most common are: excess moisture, volatile organic compounds, and carbon monoxide. Indoor air pollution can vary in anything from a gas to a bacteria, liquid, resin, or plant fiber.
Exposure to any type of pollutant is bad, with negative health symptoms coming up quickly or even a long time afterward. Other types of pollutants that are general and publicly known are things like: secondhand tobacco smoke, wood smoke, formaldehyde, lead, pesticides, and Asbestos. Improving indoor air quality will improve not only the home but also the overall well-being of life, family, and friends.
Why Excessive Moisture Is Bad for Homes
One of the most stand-out responses to excessive moisture in the home is the fungus surface growths; Mildew and Mold. As moisture builds in an area, the conditions for these fungi improve. Spots that remain on the surface and tend to be white or gray, popping up on clothes or windowsills, is mildew. Black and dark green mold typically are more deeply embedded in a surface and can cause more extreme negative responses and allergies.
Excessive moisture can also cause things like flaking or blistering paint, rotting furniture, furnishings, and floors. Wood floors and windowsills can swell and contract with each wet and dry cycle. This can cause long-term, serious decay and expensive damage.
What are Volatile Organic Compounds?
Volatile organic compounds (also known as VOCs) emit from particular solids or liquids as gas. These can be anything from what carpeting or paint is made out of to the compounds of household products like aerosol sprays, disinfectants, and stored fuels. Buildings with wall-to-wall carpeting have a tendency to display an increased chance of exposure to volatile organic compounds.
Being exposed to these chemicals can cause reactions such as; nose, throat, and eye irritation, headaches, and an overall unwell feeling, with possible effects on the central nervous system and liver. Having a qualified technician review air quality yearly can help prevent or reduce potential exposure to such toxins.
What To Do About Carbon Monoxide
Since Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a real day-to-day threat, knowing what to look out for and what to do about it is something that every homeowner should know about. Carbon Monoxide occurs as an odorless gas and can be found emitting from vehicles, gas heaters and stoves, and anything else that burns fossil fuels. The symptoms from exposure appear in the forms of headaches, confusion, chest pain, weakness, dizziness, and more, even leading to passing-out and death.
Natural gas is an effective and safe resource when used correctly with appliances and traveling through pipes. However, if a homeowner suspects a carbon monoxide gas leak, then all appliances should be turned off and left unused. If the origin of the leak is obvious, do not try and repair or stop the leak. Open all the windows and doors in the home. Have every person and animal vacate the building. Call the utility company and the local fire department.
About Skovron Mechanical Services LLC.
Skovron Mechanical Services LLC. is a smart solution to any HVAC and air quality issues a homeowner may experience. Call them today for HVAC solutions by experienced technicians who offer upfront pricing with reliable customer service in Manchester, NH.